Physical literacy is the mastery of a range of fundamental movement skills that enable and encourage lifelong participation in physical and sporting activities. It’s the philosophy that underpins physical education in schools, and more and more, it’s being seen as the most effective antidote to childhood obesity and the many problems associated with our increasingly sedentary lifestyles.
Sportball’s expert Coaches develop physical literacy not only by encouraging children to refine, rehearse and repeat motor, social and sport skills, but by doing so in a fun, creative, and supportive environment that builds self-confidence – keeping kids in the game for life.
With each mastered skill set, kids are better prepared for the next challenge they face, helping them to move with confidence on and off the field.
Physical Literacy Resources
- The Aspen Institute The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues.
- The Institute of Medicine The Institute of Medicine (IOM) is an independent, nonprofit organization that works outside of government to provide unbiased and authoritative advice to decision makers and the public.
- Let’s Move! Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the problem of obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams. Sure, this is an ambitious goal. But with your help, we can do it.
- Active for Life A social enterprise founded by B2ten, Active for Life is a national movement about physical literacy. We target parents who want to raise active and successful kids and we benefit not just them but communities across Canada. By providing expert advice, inspirational tips and activity ideas we can help parents make sure their children get the recommended daily amount of physical activity.
- Canadian Sport for Life Canadian Sport for Life is a movement to improve the quality of sport and physical activity in Canada. CS4L links sport, education, recreation and health and aligns community, provincial and national programming. Canadian Sport for Life and Long-Term Athlete Development represent a paradigm shift in the way Canadians lead and deliver sport and physical activity in Canada.